Having recently completed a Makerspace/Learning Commons area at St. Augustine School in Brandon MB, we thought we would share some feedback we received from them. Here is some results they gave us of a survey they completed before and after the space was redesigned:
Student Beliefs, Prior to the New Furniture:
- 84% of students stated that the old furniture did not help them to want to stay and learn - They were not in their Just Right Zone
- 73% of students said the old furniture was not made for personalized learning
- 78% of students believed the old furniture was not made with students' needs in mind
- 93% of students stated that they think it is important that students can choose which seat they want to use
- 94% of students said they learn better when they are able to have choice, comfort and movement when they need it
Student Feedback, a few months after the using the New Furniture:
- Many students said they feel that they can stay longer now in the Learning Commons rather than before due to the new furniture
- Most students say the reason they like the furniture is that they can move around more when needed and collaborate with their peers
Student Feedback, in their own words:
- It's a new place to learn - I feel good in it!
- The furniture is customized to fit every need and personality which is great.
- I think it made a big difference in everyone's learning experience and it's more enjoyable.
- I like ho the furniture fits to everyone's different personality. I like the colour that is added to the library.
And the one that warmed our hearts... :)
- I am feeling at home - it is really comfortable then ever - a nice place to work. I am really enjoying it and I pay more attention.
comments powered by Disqus